Tell Congress to just say “no” to pension cuts!
We need your immediate help to stop Congress from cutting retirees’ hard-earned pension benefits. With only days left in the lame-duck session, Congress is considering provisions that would allow pension plan trustees to cut the hard-earned pension benefits of retirees – as a purported solution to shoring up certain financially-troubled multiemployer plans. Such an unprecedented measure would be devastating to hundreds of thousands of retirees and widows who count on these pensions to survive.
- Send a letter to your Senators, urging them to put retiree interests before those of Wall Street. Tell them to strip the retiree pension cuts from the omnibus spending bill and send the bill back to the House.
- Write a letter to Congress, urging them to reject provisions in the omnibus spending bill that would cut retiree pensions.
- Use our calculator to find out how much your multiemployer pension benefits would be cut if the provisions included in the omnibus bill become law.
- Read a summary of the retiree pension cutback provisions in the omnibus spending bill
- Read our fact sheet, the Facts about Multiemployer Pension Plan Funding.
- Read the letter we sent Congress opposing provisions that would cut retiree benefits in multiemployer pension plans.
- In the news
– National Journal: Labor Unions Accuse Congress of Sneak Attack on Pensions in Lame Duck
– CBS 19 Action News: Bill Could Slash Pensions Across America
– Los Angeles Times: The lame-duck Congress plots to undermine retiree pensions
– The Washington Post: Congress could soon allow pension plans to cut benefits for current retirees
Looking for help with your retirement plan?
If you have a problem with your retirement plan, free help may be available from the U.S. Administration on Aging's network of Pension Counseling and Information Projects. Find help now.
What's your story?
We're hearing from people around the country who are worried about cuts to their pensions. These are their stories.
PensionHelp America connects people who need help with their pension, 401(k), and other retirement plans with the pension counseling projects, legal services providers, and government agencies that can help answer their questions. Visit www.pensionhelp.org.
Roadmap to retirement
Let our roadmap to helpful information about retirement plans for private-sector workers put you on the path toward a secure retirement. Get started.