The Portfolio Cash Balance Plan
The Portfolio Cash Balance Plan
Robert Newman, Partner
Covington & Burling
- Employees are automatically enrolled
- Benefits are funded solely by the employer—no employee contributions are required
- The benefit is expressed as an account balance
- An employee’s balance is credited each year of employment with a “pay credit,” which is typically a percentage of the employee’s current pay
- The balance is adjusted each year until the benefit begins to be paid by an “investment credit,” which is based on the return on an individually-tailored retirement investment portfolio
- The plan provides automatic investment guarantees; at a minimum, principal is guaranteed against loss, while the employer is free to provide a higher, positive cumulative rate of return if it wishes
- The plan offers annuities for both employees and their surviving spouses
- The plan is also permitted to subsidize benefits that are paid upon death, disability, or pre-mature job loss (such as upon a plant closing)
Advantages to Employees
- Greater investment protection than a 401(k) plan due to minimum guaranteed return
- Benefits are employer funded
- Employee automatically enrolled
- Lifetime income options paid directly from the plan
- Professional investment management; no need to manage own retirement savings
- Shares investment risk, enjoying upside with guaranteed minimum return
Advantages to Employers
- Employer contributions more efficiently fund benefits for employees because funds are professionally invested
- Minimize funding volatility because assets can be invested to mirror individual accounts
- Employees feel more secure about retirement because minimum guaranteed return and availability of lifetime income options
- Employer contributions spread evenly among employees
Looking for help with your retirement plan?
If you have a problem with your retirement plan, free help may be available from the U.S. Administration on Aging's network of Pension Counseling and Information Projects. Find help now.
We're hearing from people around the country who are worried about cuts to their pensions. These are their stories. Share yours here.
Roadmap to retirement
Let our roadmap to helpful information about retirement plans for private-sector workers put you on the path toward a secure retirement. Get started.
PensionHelp America connects people who need help with their pension, 401(k), and other retirement plans with the pension counseling projects, legal services providers, and government agencies that can help answer their questions. Visit www.pensionhelp.org.
Get E-mail Updates
Retirement USA is a national initiative that is working for a new retirement system that, along with Social Security, will provide universal, secure, and adequate income for future retirees. Visit the website.
Did You Know?
An annuity is a pension benefit that is paid out in a specific amount over a set period of time. Annuities typically last for the lifetime of the participant, or the lives of both the participant and his or her spouse, depending on the type of annuity selected. Joint-and-Survivor and Single-Life are types of annuities.