- The Distribution of Major Tax Expenditures in the Individual Income Tax System Congressional Budget Office (May 2013)
- Better Agency Coordination Could Help Small Employers Address Challenges to Plan Sponsorship Government Accountability Office (March 2012)
- Retirement Income: Challenges for Ensuring Income throughout Retirement (Government Accountability Office, April 2010)
- Retirement Income: Ensuring Income throughout Retirement Requires Difficult Choices Government Accountability Office (June 2011)
- Decisions, Decisions: Retirement Plan Choices for Public Employees and Employers National Institute on Retirement Security (September 2011)
- A Better Bang for the Buck: The Economic Efficiencies of DB Plans (National Institute on Retirement Security, August 2008)
- Patience is a Virtue: Asset Allocation Patterns of DB & DC Plans (National Institute on Retirement Security, July 2008)
- Retirement Readiness: What Difference Does A Pension Make? (National Institute on Retirement Security, May 2008)
- Pensionomics 2012: Measuring the Economic Impact of DB Pension Expenditures National Institute on Retirement Security (March 2012)
- Unfair Pension Takebacks: What Can Be Done to Protect Retirees (Pension Rights Center)
- Little Information Available on Qualified Supplemental Executive Retirement Plans Government Accountability Office (May 2011)
- 401(k) Plans in 2010: An Update from the SCF (July 2012) Center for Retirement Research at Boston College
- 401(k) Plans: Improved Regulation Could Better Protect Participants from Conflicts of Interest Government Accountability Office (January 2011)
- Federal Employee Participation Patterns in the Thrift Savings Plan Calendar Year 2007 (Office of Personnal Management, April 2010)
- Program Perspectives: "Frozen Defined-benefit Plans (Bureau of Labor Statistics, April 2010)
- The Disappearing Defined Benefit Pension and Its Potential Impact on the Retirement Incomes of Baby Boomers (Social Security Administration, October 2009)
- Alternatives to Frozen Defined Benefit Pension Plans (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, August 2009)
- Many Experience Challenges Regaining Employment and Face Reduced Retirement Security Government Accountability Office (April 2012)
- From Bad to Worse: Senior Economic Insecurity on the Rise Demos and the Institute on Assets and Social Policy (July 2011)
- Older Americans 2010: Key Indicators of Well-Being Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics (January 2011)
- Retirement Security: Women Still Face Challenges Government Accountability Office (July 2012)
- Retirement Security for Women: Progress to Date and Policies for Tomorrow (Retirement Security Project, April 2008)
- From Work to Retirement: Tracking Changes in Women's Poverty Status (Institute for Women's Policy Research and AARP's Public Policy Institute, February 2008)
- Pensions Are Top Income Source for Wealthier U.S. Retirees Gallup (May 2013)
- Income, Age Key Factors in Retirement Funding Expectations Gallup (May 2013)
- Retirement on the Edge: Women,Men, and Economic Insecurity After the Great Recession Institute for Women's Policy Research/Rockefeller Foundation (October 2011)
- The Origins and Severity of the Public Pension Crisis Center for Economic and Policy Research (February 2011)
- Federal Employee Participation Patterns in the Thrift Savings Plan Calendar Year 2007 Office of Personnal Management (April 2010)
- Out of Balance? Comparing Public and Private Sector Compensation Over 20 Years (National Institute on Retirement Security and Center for State and Local Government Excellence, April 2010)
Looking for help with your retirement plan?
If you have a problem with your retirement plan, free help may be available from the U.S. Administration on Aging's network of Pension Counseling and Information Projects. Find help now.
PensionHelp America connects people who need help with their pension, 401(k), and other retirement plans with the pension counseling projects, legal services providers, and government agencies that can help answer their questions. Visit www.pensionhelp.org.
Get E-mail Updates
Retirement USA is a national initiative that is working for a new retirement system that, along with Social Security, will provide universal, secure, and adequate income for future retirees. Visit the website.
Did You Know?
A defined benefit plan is a pension plan, usually funded entirely by employer contributions, that pays benefits according to a formula. The formula is typically based on the participant's wages or salary and length of time spent working for an employer or group of employers. Defined benefit plans are also known as traditional or guaranteed pensions.