- Retirement Security 2015: Roadmap for Policy Makers | Americans’ Views of the Retirement Crisis National Institute on Retirement Security (March 2015)
- Social Security Primer Congressional Research Service (August 2014)
- The Distribution of Major Tax Expenditures in the Individual Income Tax System Congressional Budget Office (May 2013)
- A Better Bang for the Buck: The Economic Efficiencies of DB Plans National Institute on Retirement Security (August 2008)
- Patience is a Virtue: Asset Allocation Patterns of DB & DC Plans National Institute on Retirement Security (July 2008)
- Retirement Readiness: What Difference Does A Pension Make? National Institute on Retirement Security (May 2008)
- Pension Plan De-risking: Is It Bad, Is It Legal, Can It Be Stopped, Slowed, or Moderated? Pension Rights Center (March 2015)
- Participants Need Better Information When Offered Lump Sums That Replace Their Lifetime Benefits Government Accountability Office (February 2015)
- Pensionomics 2012: Measuring the Economic Impact of DB Pension Expenditures National Institute on Retirement Security (March 2012)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans: Are They Worth the Risks? (Pension Rights Center)
- Laying the Groundwork for More Efficient Retirement Savings Incentives (November 2015) Center for American Progress
- The Inefficiencies of Existing Retirement Savings Incentives (October 2015) Center for American Progress
- Program Perspectives: Frozen Defined-benefit Plans Bureau of Labor Statistics (April 2010)
- The Disappearing Defined Benefit Pension and Its Potential Impact on the Retirement Incomes of Baby Boomers Social Security Administration (October 2009)
- Alternatives to Frozen Defined Benefit Pension Plans Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor (August 2009)
- A Tale of Two Retirements (October 2015) Center for Effective Government
- Many Experience Challenges Regaining Employment and Face Reduced Retirement Security Government Accountability Office (April 2012)
- From Bad to Worse: Senior Economic Insecurity on the Rise Demos and the Institute on Assets and Social Policy (July 2011)
- One in Five Investors Have Tapped Into 401(k) Prematurely Gallup (December 22, 2014)
- Three-Quarters of Americans Worry About Having Enough Money to Retire (July 10, 2014) The Harris Poll
- Pensions Are Top Income Source for Wealthier U.S. Retirees Gallup (May 2013)
- Decisions, Decisions: Retirement Plan Choices for Public Employees and Employers National Institute on Retirement Security (September 2011)
- The Origins and Severity of the Public Pension Crisis Center for Economic and Policy Research (February 2011)
- Federal Employee Participation Patterns in the Thrift Savings Plan Calendar Year 2007 Office of Personnal Management (April 2010)
Looking for help with your retirement plan?
If you have a problem with your retirement plan, free help may be available from the U.S. Administration on Aging's network of Pension Counseling and Information Projects. Find help now.
What's your story?
We're hearing from people around the country who are worried about cuts to their pensions. These are their stories.
PensionHelp America connects people who need help with their pension, 401(k), and other retirement plans with the pension counseling projects, legal services providers, and government agencies that can help answer their questions. Visit www.pensionhelp.org.
Roadmap to retirement
Let our roadmap to helpful information about retirement plans for private-sector workers put you on the path toward a secure retirement. Get started.
Get E-mail Updates
Did You Know?
Individual Retirement Accounts, or IRAs, are private accounts that allow individuals to save for retirement. Each type of IRA is governed by a unique set of rules that offer different tax benefits. Read our IRA fact sheets to learn about the different types of IRAs.