- Retirement Security 2015: Roadmap for Policy Makers | Americans’ Views of the Retirement Crisis National Institute on Retirement Security (March 2015)
- Social Security Primer Congressional Research Service (August 2014)
- The Distribution of Major Tax Expenditures in the Individual Income Tax System Congressional Budget Office (May 2013)
- A Better Bang for the Buck: The Economic Efficiencies of DB Plans National Institute on Retirement Security (August 2008)
- Patience is a Virtue: Asset Allocation Patterns of DB & DC Plans National Institute on Retirement Security (July 2008)
- Retirement Readiness: What Difference Does A Pension Make? National Institute on Retirement Security (May 2008)
- Participants Need Better Information When Offered Lump Sums That Replace Their Lifetime Benefits Government Accountability Office (February 2015)
- Pensionomics 2012: Measuring the Economic Impact of DB Pension Expenditures National Institute on Retirement Security (March 2012)
- Unfair Pension Takebacks: What Can Be Done to Protect Retirees (Pension Rights Center)
- Retirement Savings Flows and Financial Advice: Should You Roll Over Your 401(k) Plan? Pension Policy Center (April 2014)
- Fixing the Drain on Retirement Savings Center for American Progress (April 2014)
- Private Pensions: Pension Tax Incentives Update Government Accountability Office (March 2014)
- Program Perspectives: Frozen Defined-benefit Plans Bureau of Labor Statistics (April 2010)
- The Disappearing Defined Benefit Pension and Its Potential Impact on the Retirement Incomes of Baby Boomers Social Security Administration (October 2009)
- Alternatives to Frozen Defined Benefit Pension Plans Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor (August 2009)
- Many Experience Challenges Regaining Employment and Face Reduced Retirement Security Government Accountability Office (April 2012)
- From Bad to Worse: Senior Economic Insecurity on the Rise Demos and the Institute on Assets and Social Policy (July 2011)
- Older Americans 2010: Key Indicators of Well-Being Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics (January 2011)
- Retirement Security: Women Still Face Challenges Government Accountability Office (July 2012)
- Retirement Security for Women: Progress to Date and Policies for Tomorrow (Retirement Security Project, April 2008)
- From Work to Retirement: Tracking Changes in Women's Poverty Status (Institute for Women's Policy Research and AARP's Public Policy Institute, February 2008)
- One in Five Investors Have Tapped Into 401(k) Prematurely Gallup (December 22, 2014)
- Pensions Are Top Income Source for Wealthier U.S. Retirees Gallup (May 2013)
- Income, Age Key Factors in Retirement Funding Expectations Gallup (May 2013)
- Decisions, Decisions: Retirement Plan Choices for Public Employees and Employers National Institute on Retirement Security (September 2011)
- The Origins and Severity of the Public Pension Crisis Center for Economic and Policy Research (February 2011)
- Federal Employee Participation Patterns in the Thrift Savings Plan Calendar Year 2007 Office of Personnal Management (April 2010)
Looking for help with your retirement plan?
If you have a problem with your retirement plan, free help may be available from the U.S. Administration on Aging's network of Pension Counseling and Information Projects. Find help now.
We're hearing from people around the country who are worried about cuts to their pensions. These are their stories. Share yours here.
Roadmap to retirement
Let our roadmap to helpful information about retirement plans for private-sector workers put you on the path toward a secure retirement. Get started.
PensionHelp America connects people who need help with their pension, 401(k), and other retirement plans with the pension counseling projects, legal services providers, and government agencies that can help answer their questions. Visit www.pensionhelp.org.
Get E-mail Updates
Retirement USA is a national initiative that is working for a new retirement system that, along with Social Security, will provide universal, secure, and adequate income for future retirees. Visit the website.
Did You Know?
Individual Retirement Accounts, or IRAs, are private accounts that allow individuals to save for retirement. Each type of IRA is governed by a unique set of rules that offer different tax benefits. Read our IRA fact sheets to learn about the different types of IRAs.